Chemical constituents of most of the cordyceps species include cordycepin and its derivatives, polysaccharides, ergosterol, a glycoprotein, and peptides that contain alpha aminoisobutyric acid. Research shows that this unique chemical constitution of cordyceps can be effective for treating a variety of health conditions.
- Cordyceps make the body strong enough to resist various types of viruses and bacteria.
- These fungi help in building muscles, thereby improving physical performance.
- They improve sexual function by stimulating production of sex hormones.
- Cordyceps benefit the circulatory system by strengthening the heart muscles, regulating blood pressure, and improving blood circulation.
- These fungi are used as a tonic for nourishing the body and for stimulating brain activity.
- It is said that cordyceps have diuretic effect that helps in the prevention of nephralgia.
- They help in improving memory.
Though the medicinal use of cordyceps has been dated back to the fifteenth century, most of its benefits are not scientifically proved. They are natural and considered safe for use, but may have some side effects on the body. Hence, it is advisable to consume cordyceps only after consulting your health care provider.